In Ohio, public and private agencies have
thousands of children waiting for adoption.
The children range in age from toddlers to
Many of the children waiting for adoption fall
into one or more of the following “special
needs” groups: older, members of a racial
minority, sibling groups who want to be
adopted together; have emotional, medical,
or developmental problems; or a medical or
family history which puts the at risk for
problems following the adoption.
If you have specific questions regarding adoption in Licking County, please call our adoption assessors at 740-670-8918 or email LickingCountyAdoption@jfs.ohio.gov
You may apply to become an approved adoptive family through Licking County JFS if you:
- Are at least 21 years of age.
- Single or married, with no change in marital status for at least one year.
- Able to provide proof of sufficient income to meet the needs of the household.
- Complete BCII, FBI, and Children Service Background Checks with no prohibitive offenses.
- Ensure children are able to attend all scheduled appointments and visitations and have a clean and safe home.
- Provide a safe and healthy home for a child.
- Complete 39 hours of pre-service Training.
Prior to applying to become a foster or adoptive parent through Licking County JFS, families must complete pre-service Training as developed by the Ohio Child Welfare Training Program plus an additional 3 hour training provided by Foster and Adoptive Parents through Licking County.
We provide pre-service training 3 times a year. Training classes are on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:15 – 9:15 pm at the OhioMeansJobs | Licking County building in Newark.
2017 Foster / Adopt Pre-Service Training Workshop Schedule
to find additional training sessions in our neighboring communities.
Applications to become licensed foster / adoptive parents will be handed out after completion of preervice training. Once an application is received by the Agency, a worker will be assigned to work with your family to complete a homestudy. A homestudy consist of a series of interviews which helps to evaluate if adoption is right for you and your family, helps the Agency get to know you as well as evaluate what type of children would fit best into your family.
if you are interested in becoming an adoptive parent with Licking County JFS.